Its no secret that most kids don't eat the recommended amount of veggies or fruits. Vegetables are packed with vitamins and nutrients that are necessary for a child’s growth, but its a challenge to get our kids to eat them. Get your kids curious about the beautiful array of vegetables by letting them choose what they want to try. This week, take a trip to the grocery store or a local farmer's market and have the kids pick a veggie they have never tried. Here are our top 10 veggie picks and kid-friendly recipes that we love to pair with family dinners.
- Asparagus - a nice one in scrambles and stir-frys
- Broccoli - perfect with just a little steaming
- Butternut Squash - a good one to sneak into pastas
- Cauliflower - the new kale. Here's how to brighten it up
- Carrots - filled with beta carotene, this staple can take on many forms
- Cucumber - refreshing and great with fresh guacamole in place of chips
- Eggplant - try Chinese eggplant which cooks faster
- Kale - make into a pesto for a healthy pasta side dish
- Peppers - sometimes sweet, sometimes spicy, peppers make great snacks
- Sweet Potatoes - a healthful alternative to the regular spud
For more kids friendly vegetable ideas, check out these fun samplings by Parents magazine.